What They Said: Jon Stewart

Bokehcolored1

“I thought Donald Trump disqualified himself at numerous points. But there is now this idea that anyone who voted for him has to be defined by the worst of his rhetoric. There are guys in my neighborhood who I love, I respect, that I think have incredible qualities – that are not afraid of Mexicans and not afraid of Muslims and not afraid of blacks. They’re afraid of their insurance premiums.”

“In the liberal community, you hate this idea of creating people as a monolith,” Stewart continued. “Don’t look at Muslims as a monolith. They are individuals and it would be ignorance. But everybody who voted for Trump is a monolith – is a racist. That hypocrisy is also real in our country. And so that is the fight that we wage against ourselves and against each other because America is not natural. Natural is tribal. We’re fighting against thousands of years of human behavior and history to create something that no one ever [has]. That is what is exceptional about America. This ain’t easy and that’s an incredible thing.”

Jon Stewart

The Charlie Rose Show

Comments

1. Dear Celia:

As much as I dig Stewart, you have been scribing/saying this exact thing for weeks, in your own melody of course.

A dislocated Yankee in Prince Pod’s court (being Canadialand), I, a typical ‘Centrist Tri-Partisan well-wisher’ for our American Brethren says: “Prove us wrong Mr Trump where you fool all and elevate the low and middle and forgotten as promised. Not yet certain of you, watching, assessing…while at the same time, I must accept the outcome as all is fair in love and war.” My families/friends in NYC, Boston, South Florida, DC, L.A, Colorado, Washington and Oregon voted both blue and red equally as their reasons manifest in the electoral devise. Selfishly, I only wish for an North American political future that abolishes a two-state system…a future that includes the colour GREEN (for both the US and Canadia) completing a better democracy that becomes about a more vigourous tri-partisanship….. but you know what the frog puppet says… “It’s not easy being….” yeah.

Like Farber, Stewart’s savvy mandates crave dissertation, a challenge where questioning the obvious trend or fashion, in this case being the piling-up of propaganda against “The Trumpus’ accolades as enemy of the ‘real’ people is interestingly enough, a ‘hall of mirror’ thinking, where reactionary critics in this arena are simply snakes chasing their own tails.

Also experienced a trend recorded over 35 years in leftist culture, that I am still kin to, being a more horrific Anti-Semitism by my localized hippo hip left over any of the bumpkin cartoon right wingers… both equally present in my wake. It used to sadden me, but now I am entertained that these deceivers are the same name callers, calling Trump voters “racist”. This totalitarian bullying deceives it’s own education and raison d’etre. But, hey, I’m glad they feel comfortable to express their disdain, because it’s all data.

… hence why standing in the middle with some stress and much assess until time has called ‘time’.

So far Trump’s utter lack of protocol with his horse’s ass yo yo enfant terrible wonders that maybe.. just maybe…this could be the black swan of greatness he pitches it to be.

All we can do is… this.. keep close eye/ear to the ground above and heaven below as we find out if this a short or long game.

Tim Lundeen: Thanks for that link. I reinforces what those of us who are paying attention have known for some time that the the mainstream media has become: Murdochized and bleeding money, a purveyor of fake news and fake hysteria, with a bit of pop culture thrown in, in service only to advertisers. Fit only for lining the bird cage or starting a warming fire.

“There are guys in my neighborhood who I love, I respect, that I think have incredible qualities – that are not afraid of Mexicans and not afraid of Muslims and not afraid of blacks. They’re afraid of their insurance premiums.””

People from Middletown N.J. and the area surrounding it, Rumson for example where tax cheat Bruce Springsteen lives * almost never encounter illegal immigrants or the types of Muslim refugees that people usually aren’t too happy to share a neighborhood with. Middletown is something in the area of 95%White. So, no. They’re not afraid of people who shouldn’t be in the United States. There’s nothing in it for them to be afraid of. The median home price in Middletown won’t be brought down by a sudden influx of non English speaking people who don’t quite get America yet. So it doesn’t hurt them. But they do care about a bump in their insurance costs. Typical self centered rich a holes.

*Bruce weaseled out of paying some tax or another by declaring his property a farm and then claiming some loophole. Stewart does the same scam, but I haven’t heard officially that he does it for tax reasons, but I wouldn’t be shocked.

Odd thoughts. Perhaps it was an early-morning interview, and he wasn’t quite awake. I’m having a bit of buyers remorse after backing the winning horse, as he seems to be surrounding himself with neocons and the same old crap, but in a novel, unpredictable way. Are we doomed to the greatest stupidity in U.S. history? Was Dubya just a warmup? Time will tell, but I can’t imagine any of the clowns he’s brought in so far has any interest in draining any swamps. Actually, I think Trump is in way over his head, and, strange as it may seem, I have some sympathy for him.

I feel your pain to a degree. But mind you, Hillary is a neo con. Sure, few will call her that, but look back to the ‘Project for the new American century’ and look at which countries they wanted to over throw.

Now think of Hillary.

• Gary Ogden says:

Stephen: Absolutely right. Hillary is the quintessential neocon. Trump will undoubtedly screw some things up, as all presidents do, but I’m really starting to warm up to him, after he poked his fingers in the eyes of the plutocrats of the media yesterday. If he surgically removes the cancer from the CDC, he will have made up for a multitude of sins, and justified our votes. As long as he sends Bolton and Giuliani to bed without their supper, I think we’ll be OK on the foreign policy front, although I suspect he conflates the interests of the Israeli government with ours, which can be a dangerous thing.

5. Tim Lundeen says: