Young, White, And Dead in America: When Will It End?

[Text by Celia Farber]

IMG_4471-2

They aren’t trendy, purple haired, tattooed and pierced, gay or transgender, officially oppressed,  or getting triggered on a college campus somewhere; They have no functioning anger to deploy, and if they did, nobody would fake-love them for it. They don’t have that kind of middle or upper middle class political energy.

Even if they did, they would not have the money to take the bus to the anti-Trump rally in the nearest big city.

It”s never been safe to be a young black male in the United States, but it is no longer safe to be a young white male either. And if you even say “white,” you sound a little suspect in today’s America. It’s a trigger word.

These are the kids who couldn’t go to college because student loan debt loomed like a crushing mushroom cloud, from which it may never have been possible to emerge. They don’t even try to form families, or come anywhere near what was once called The American Dream, now referenced mostly sarcastically.  Instead it’s temporary odd jobs, opioids, and a relatively painless (compared to some) way to suicide by accident, from an opiate overdose. These kids didn’t die because they “were addicts.” They died because a decades long conspiracy at the heart of American financial culture abandoned them, crushed their “American Dream,” like a cheap soda can.

In 2015, there were 78.2 million Americans over 16 working at the minimum wage.

Where are the charts for those who were not even doing that? Could not even get those jobs?

From 2000 to 2014 nearly half a million Americans died from drug overdoses. Opioid overdose deaths, including both opioid pain relievers and heroin, hit record levels in 2014, with an alarming 14 percent increase in just one year, according to new data published today in CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

The most commonly prescribed opioid pain relievers, those classified as natural or semi-synthetic opioids such as oxycodone and hydrocodone, continue to be involved in more overdose deaths than any other opioid type. These deaths increased by 9 percent (813 more deaths in 2014 than 2013).

Increases in prescription opioid pain reliever and heroin deaths are the biggest driver of the drug overdose epidemic. Deaths from heroin increased in 2014, continuing a sharp rise that has seen heroin overdoses triple since 2010. Deaths involving illicitly made fentanyl, a potent opioid often added to or sold as heroin, also are on the upswing.

“The increasing number of deaths from opioid overdose is alarming,” said CDC Director Tom Frieden, M.D., M.P.H. “The opioid epidemic is devastating American families and communities. To curb these trends and save lives, we must help prevent addiction and provide support and treatment to those who suffer from opioid use disorders. This report also shows how important it is that law enforcement intensify efforts to reduce the availability of heroin, illegal fentanyl, and other illegal opioids.”

[CDC Press Release, Dec 18, 2015]

I disagree with Frieden’s emphasis on preventing “addiction.” Prevent, rather, financial hopelessness, and cultural segregation. Stop killing our kids by obliterating both their sovereignty and future. Stop, allowing the pharmaceutical mega-beast to finish them off with easy access to pills they are “addicted” to. If they survive, there’s another  money mill: Addiction recovery centers. Rehab. Revolving door re-hab, since “re-hab,” doesn’t work, since this is not “addiction.” That’s a very convenient and lucrative way to blame the victims.

I meet and talk to young kids like this, sometimes. They drop out of college or never start because of student loan debt anxiety. Then they try to “get work,” and find that there simply isn’t a functioning world out there that wants them, no energy of “young man, you can do anything you set your mind to.” It’s not there anymore. Norman Vincent Peale, I know you believe me, wherever you are. It’s a different “America.”

You know what happens to the females in this social class by the way? They’re sold into sex trafficking.

Predatory college loans should be the first thing to go in this supposedly new America. How long does that take?

Also, how can you have “loved” Mr. Obama, when he said and did apparently nothing or next to nothing about this, and instead fostered trendy national dialogues about race, gender, bathrooms, and what have you. Not a way more difficult and way less trendy conversation about hopeless white kids dying in dirty gas station bathrooms in Eerie P.A. with no right-on sign on the bathroom door, just another life snuffed out, in the cold heartless shadows of Politically Correct America.

Here is the article that started me writing this text:

Comments

1. Sal Gagliano says:

Norman Vincent Peale was and is the inspiration for Donald Trump.
    The Power of Positive Thinking.

Saul Alinsky was and is the inspiration for Hillary Clinton AND Barack Obama.
    The power of deception and destruction.

I think that says it all.

“You can’t alway’s get what you want.
    But if you try sometimes, well you might find,
    You get what you need.”
    -Stones

Donal Trump is the messenger. He has said so himself.
    He is the messenger of a New Truth that the American people are willing into existence for themselves.

2. Rebecca Lee says:

Keep in mind that this is the generation that got hammered by mercury in the childhood vaccination schedule. They are a lot of them toxic as all get out along with everything else that is going on.

• Sharon Warner says:

Good point Rebecca; this strikes home after watching the Truth About Vaccines and Vaccines Revealed, both which have been airing for the last week.
      I fear for my unborn grandchild; grandparents are only allowed so much input.

3. John Barron says:

What about the insane amount of drugs you did in your younger years , coke , dope whatever. Right now we have an opiate problem in this country because big pharmaceutical companies made a wonderful product that is super fuckin addictive. Its making them billions dont plan on it stopping soon.

4. The western model of addiction is completely wrong. Addiction is not about a dopamine rush in the brain, it’s about a life out of balance. The Chinese proved this with rat studies in the 1980s, but the western world ignored those results because they make so much money having people go through rehab again and again and again.

The Chinese took some rats and got them addicted to various substances and kept them in a sensory-deprived environment. Then they took these same addicted rats and put them in a sensory-rich environment (lots of toys and flywheels, etc.) with access to all of the substances they were addicted to and GUESS WHAT — the rats stopped consuming the substances because they sensory stimulation and recreation.

This is why various psychoactive substances used by shamans around the world can cure addiction in one trip — because people get in touch with spiritual reality and comprehend that there is so much more to life.

Celia, it is AMAZING how often you cover topics that I think and read about. Keep it up, you brilliant woman, you!

5. Sharon Warner says:

Bigger policing budgets will only make matters worse.

6. Sharon Warner says:

This is very real. Then there are all the young teens doing self harm as relief from their pain. This is beyond sad. What a commentary on our culture.

” These kids didn’t die because they “were addicts.” They died because a decades long conspiracy at the heart of American financial culture abandoned them, crushed their “American Dream,” like a cheap soda can.”

I have to wonder how much the great American sport called football has to do with all of this as well? How many of these injuries started out as football injures and then were aggravated later while doing some usually dangerous low paying labor? Trust me, it’s part of the story.

“I disagree with Frieden’s emphasis on preventing “addiction.””

I completely understand what you’re saying here. It’s not about addiction per say, but that said a few years ago I broke my leg and was put on some opioid or another. When the prescription ran out, I had to withdraw. It wasn’t easy. My fingernails hurt for 2 days, my hair hurt. It surely has the trappings of addiction. Later when my and I decided to have her take the children and herself to California, leaving me alone in Jersey City, I was completely alone and depressed. If I were even remotely street savvy, and thank the lord I’m not, I could easily have sought out that kind of escape. The drug they had me on was, if nothing else while I was healing, a lot of fun.

“I disagree with Frieden’s emphasis on preventing “addiction.” Prevent, rather, financial hopelessness, and cultural segregation. Stop killing our kids by obliterating both their sovereignty and future. Stop, allowing the pharmaceutical mega-beast to finish them off with easy access to pills they are “addicted” to. If they survive, there’s another money mill: Addiction recovery centers. Rehab. Revolving door re-hab, since “re-hab,” doesn’t work, since this is not “addiction.” That’s a very convenient and lucrative way to blame the victims.”

It’s statements like this that begin to get at the heart of the issues we’re facing as a society today. Nobody can really talk about it it seems. P.K. Dick hinted at it at the end of ‘A Scanner Darkly’, but the rehab industrial complex doesn’t seem to get mentioned all that often, or at least I haven’t noticed. Liberals go on and on about how crazy people on the ‘alt right’ think that there’s this white holocaust out of one side of their mouths, and later they’ll spew about how ‘America’s demographics are changing and there’s no stopping that’.
    Well what do you call it then? If an ethnic population disappears, or millions just die off, what’s that called? What’s the politically correct term for what’s undeniably happening?

” Not a way more difficult and way less trendy conversation about hopeless white kids dying in dirty gas station bathrooms in Eerie P.A. ”

I disagree. He talked about it. Early in his tenure as president, he talked about it. He said that the jobs were gone and they aren’t coming back, and that a certain sub set of America was bitterly clinging to our god, and our guns.

Well, I don’t own any guns. But…you know.

8. Anonymous says:

I am confused. Did you write this story or was it on Bloomberg? In any event, it is amazing. A friend wrote this morning to tell me his son had died of a heroin overdose. I was stunned. Just numb and stunned.

I wrote it Katie, based on the Bloomberg article linked at end, from where I also took the JPG of the young man who died, to use for my own article. All I did to write is the stuff in quotes/italics. Thank you for participating in this painful, important national conversation! Thank you for being here.